Mission leaders have asked Holston congregations not to send work teams to South Carolina until leaders in the South Carolina Annual Conference send the request. In the meantime, church members who want to help their southern neighbors are encouraged to assemble “cleaning buckets” and “health kits,” as instructed by United Methodist Committee on Relief (see instructions below).
“We have stored ‘cleaning buckets,’ which could go quickly when they are needed,” said Jim Fetzer, Holston disaster response coordinator. “We always need ‘health kits,’ which are in shorter supply.” So, health kits are the priority and they can be dropped off at the Vienna Road entrance and put into the appropriate basket. The Mission Ministry Team will ensure that the kits get to the local district office as requested by UMCOR.
Health Kit (Please bring to collection baskets near the Welcome Center at FUMC)
- 1 hand towel (15" x 25" to 17"x 27") - No kitchen, cleaning and microfiber towels, please
- 1 washcloth
- 1 comb (sturdy and longer than 6") - No pocket combs or picks, please, but rattail combs and combs without handles are acceptable with a minimum of 6" of teeth
- 1 metal nail file or clippers - No emery boards, please
- 1 bath-size soap
- 3 oz. and larger sizes only - No Ivory or Jergens soap due to moisture content (please do not remove from original packaging)
- 1 toothbrush - adult size only (please do not remove from original packaging)
- 6 adhesive bandages - ¾" to 1" size (common household Band-Aids)
- 1 plastic bag - one-gallon size sealable bags only
- $1 to purchase toothpaste
Set the $1 for toothpaste aside to be included in a separate envelope. Lay out the hand towel flat on a table. Lay the washcloth flat in the center of the hand towel. Place all remaining items on top of the washcloth. Fold over the sides of the hand towel to cover all of the items. Fold over one end of the hand towel so that it covers all of the items. Grasp the bundle of items tightly and roll over the remainder of the hand towel tightly. Place the tightly rolled bundle in the plastic bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal the bag.
All items must be new.
Do not wash any of the items as they will be considered used.
Please remove all packaging (unless noted above).
All emergency kits are carefully planned to make them usable in the greatest number of situations. Since strict rules often govern product entry into international countries, it is important that kits contain only the requested items – nothing more.
DO NOT include any personal notes, money or additional material in the kits. These things must be painstakingly removed and will delay the shipment.
UMCOR is now purchasing toothpaste in bulk to be added to health kits before shipping to ensure that the product does not expire before they are sent.