Title: Director of Communications and Community Engagement
Status: Full-time, salaried, exempt
Benefits: Medical and dental insurance with employer contribution, pension plan, paid leave and holidays
To Apply: Please contact John Whaley, Church Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First United Methodist Church of Oak Ridge seeks a marketing and public relations professional to create and execute a communications strategy that will spread the church’s message to new audiences, raise awareness of the church’s role in the community, and keep current members engaged and informed. The individual must be an excellent communicator who can create effective written and visual content that will support the church’s efforts to reach and serve more people. The individual must also have a heartfelt passion for the often life-changing power of the church’s diverse ministries.
● Create and manage a communications strategy that will strengthen the church's outreach efforts. This will include brand development, graphic standards, social media policies, media buys, event planning, and budget management.
● Create written and visual content that supports the outreach goals of the communications strategy. This will include print publications, social media content, website content, news releases, newsletters, and annual reports.
● Oversee the church’s website. This will include creating and updating content, creating a content calendar, coordinating content with church staff, creating graphics, and updating the site’s design.
● Seek media coverage of church events.
● Archive and manage digital media assets.
● Collaborate with the worship staff to create elements in support of worship series consistent with the church brand, mission and vision.
● Help to coordinate and publicize the newcomer and connection ministries of the church including new member classes and church newcomer gatherings.
● Oversee and staff Sunday morning Hospitality Teams, Ushers and Greeters.
● Serve as the staff liaison to the Outreach team and Communications team.
● Oversee the church’s communications and marketing budget.
● Maintaining a current knowledge of best practices in the field of church communications.
● Excellent written, oral, and visual communication skills: The individual must be able to create effective content that furthers outreach goals in the communications strategy. Outstanding writing, graphic design, and photography abilities are crucial. The individual will also represent the church at community events and as a member of civic groups. Outstanding speaking and presentations skills are also critical.
● Excellent organizational skills: The individual will coordinate numerous projects, participate in strategic planning, and manage the church’s communications budget.
● Outstanding interpersonal skills: The individual will be visible within the church and in the community.
● Social media expertise: The individual must demonstrate familiarity with social media platforms and be able to create platform-specific content that advances the goals of the communications strategy.
● Data analysis skills: The individual will need to use data to identify potential audiences and evaluate the effectiveness of digital communications content.
● Software proficiency: The individual must have experience with standard office programs, Adobe Creative Suite, Mac and PC platforms, and Web content management systems.
Education and experience
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism or related field.
● Portfolio of content that clearly demonstrates effective written and visual storytelling in support of an organization’s brand and mission.
● Experience that clearly demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to be successful in this position is required.