PreK 2 Class
PreK 2 is a Pre-Kindergarten class. Students must be 4 years old by August 15th in accordance with the Kindergarten guidelines of the state of Tennessee. Some exceptions may be considered if a 3 year old with a fall birthday (turning 4 shortly after school starts) shows the physical, emotional and cognitive maturity to handle the challenges of this classroom. These special placements are based on recommendations of the First Steps teaching staff.
Teachers would love to have your child enrolled for as many days as possible. The more days students attend the more chances they have to develop skills which teachers can then build on throughout the school year. There is a 3-day per week minimum in the room. Teachers have found students perform better if the days are not consecutive. This way students experience the introduction as well as a conclusion to each theme.
This class is all about getting ready for Kindergarten. Teachers provide an enriching curriculum with focus on learning through play! Materials help build skills in:
- Fine Motor
- Gross Motor
- Computer Technology
Students will also participate in:
- Daily physical education focusing on gross motor skills.
- Outside play on First Steps newly resurfaced playground.
- Music and songs will be an integral part of the daily routine.
- On Thursdays students will participate in our Music and Movement program.
During Group Time students will focus on:
- Calendar and Holidays
- Different Types of Weather
- Social Studies and the World around us
- How letters sound and how to write them using the Handwriting without Tears method (used by most schools in the local area)
- Number recognition and counting
- Recognizing and using shapes in everyday life.
Teachers help students build self confidence, independence, problem solving skills and conflict resolution by using the positive character qualities of: responsibility, initiative, patience, courage, respect, friendship, and cooperation.